Sunday, November 29, 2009

Overheard and overhead

So, on the flight out I'm stuck in the middle seat in the last row. But, it's not so bad as I'm sandwiched between two delightful ladies. The one on my right is a tiny Asian girl and during the course of the flight I begin to believe she doesn't speak much English.
I come to this idea by the way that she communicates via grunts, squeaks and gestures to the flight attendants. Need some water? Point at it and squeal. Want the chips? Angle your head at it and nod vigorously.
We land and to my pleasant surprise they announce over the intercom that they are debarking via the rear of the plane as well as the front. Ho ho! This is sweet, I can jump right off.
But my little seat-mate makes no move to get up. She sits there stonily. Perhaps she didn't understand the announcement, what with her bad English and all. People are streaming out now and I become agitated. Helpfully, I nudge her and indicate the rear of the plane.
In the dryest English ever she says "Yesss, I fear my luggage is in the overhead bin several seats forward. We must wait a bit to disembark."
Durr durr durr. Yes we must, oh, and by the way, I'm a dummy.


- Posted from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment