Thursday, June 17, 2010

Le Meridian


This strange device, dear readers, is the Master Control Unit for my hotel room. Want some light by the bar? Push a button. Want the room a little cooler? Push a button. Want some light over by the desk? Push a button and then have it not work, call the front desk, have them come change the lamp and then jiggle the handle and have it work for a little bit and then not work again and give up on it. Want the teevee on? Well, there's no button on the Master Control, but that doesn't work either.

I'm not really upset by that. I pretty much dont have time for television and there isn't anything on anyway. But it does give you a little flavor of our situation. The power goes out several times a day. Even at the office we have internet in one room and international phone in the other: not both. Little things slow us down all the time.

But the lobby is palatial. The ceiling is a two story tall dome with illuminated stars. There is a great view of palm trees and the pool in the back. It's nice, but as I write this the bellman is delivering my pressed clothes. Why didn't I iron my own clothes? Because I'm a fancy gentleman too good for manual labor? Well, kinda, but really it's because after repeated requests, they still can't locate an iron and an ironing board for me. The front desk guy smiles and tells you each time that yes, they will bring one up to you post-haste, but then the dude shows up and so sorry, the iron that was promised cannot be located. They are probably charging me for the pressing.
Ah, well. Got to go. My driver is here. So fancy!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, yes, I remember it well from our overseas years. The doorbell that never worked was the one that drove me craziest, for some reason. I ended up deciding that not having electricity at all was almost preferable to having lots of nice-looking things that didn't work half the time.

    What happens when you push the button that says, "Service: Mood"?? Someone shows up with a cocktail or backrub???

    ReplyDelete