Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Guru & Senil

One day on the trip Val was telling me about a conference she was at when they divided the people up into groups. Some were innovators, others were leaders, they each had some archetypical niche to play. The idea was to understand the typical characteristics of each style so that you could work with the other types better.
I didn't go to that seminar so I don't have all the catch phrases or ideagrams, but I think I know enough to tell you a bit about these two gentlemen. That's Guru on the left as faithful readers likely know. He was with me in another trip back in the States. On the right is Senil. I'm not sure if I have the spelling right, I 've only heard it said out loud.
These guys are both managers from a vendor we are working with. Guru's management archetype is the Scribe. The kid loves spreadsheets and records everything that gets decided or mentioned in one. I bet he could show me a spreadsheet charting our dinner preferences for the past six weeks. This obsessive tracking and record-keeping can be kind of a drag, but it's vital stuff to the process. When I see him sometimes I have to admit I groan because I know he wants to check up on a deliverable or other item that I owe. He's on top of things, I'm all over the place trying to keep it straight.
Senil I know less well. He joined the project later and for the first few weeks didn't say much of anything. I like him, though. He has a funny laugh and seems to enjoy goading people into doing silly things in public. He doesn't mind throwing down when it's required as well. Guru writes it all down and twitches over it, Senil kind of shows up and gives it a grin. Unfortunately, he's had some trouble with his Visa, so it's uncertain what will happen next as he was slated to work stateside. He seems like the archetype that Rolls With It. I'm sure he'll be fine.

1 comment:

  1. Funny how so far, these guys look exactly llike they'd have the personality you describe. You must be a great portrait photog!

    Must feel funny with things winding down. I'll miss this blog!!!

    ReplyDelete