Sunday, March 20, 2011

Spring forward


Lately Notes from the Road has been more like Notes from the Living Room. I've been working long hours and on nights and weekends I've mostly got head space to pick away at chores and zonk out. And that's been about it.
But this week was Spring Break, the work week was easier and I have a short week next week. I'm taking Thursday off to see McNally and Hobby speak in Dallas about small flash work. I'm taking Friday too just for the hell of it. This pressure respite coincides with the change in weather. And as someone reminded me, this weekend was Holi.
Holi as you likely know is an Indian holiday that I don't really understand. But it seems to be a Spring time transitional thing. Holi, Lent, whatever: it's time to clean house and bring the good stuff in.
My friend is moving as well and it's interesting to hear a different perspective on the move. Some things are the same in our situations, some different, but it reminds me to keep busy at it.
So these are more macros in the series. Same set up as last post.
I'm getting more comfortable building light levels.
Things like this that don't move or get impatient are good subjects to learn around.
Somehow things that seem obvious and banal when you say it come as sort of a surprise in practice. Like: you need more light to light dark things. Oh, well.
The techniques I'm playing with (off camera lighting with small flashes) is the subject of the seminar I'm going to next week.
Curious to watch folks solve problems and set stuff up on-the-fly.
These are coming out ok. I might get a new tripod. A clasp on the old one stopped closing, so you have to tape it in place or it collapses. THey are so spendy though.
Ah, whatever: it's time for new stuff. Spring forward.

1 comment:

  1. hypnotic cork composition! your photo notation the other day left me "awed"-- intellectually I recognize what they represent; i dad camera/lens world I am left wondering. your experiments with light are delightful! dad

    ReplyDelete