Sunday, March 6, 2011

Yellow is Healthy

Some more shooting this morning before running chores.
Same set up as the last couple posts: f45 at 300mm macro 1/250.
I've taken a 17x19" piece of art paper, set it on the counter in my kitchen and curled it up against the wall for a backdrop.
I'm using two flashes off-camera.
The one on camera left is pointed straight up. It hits the bottom of the shelf in the kitchen and bounces back to provide overall light.
The flash on camera right is very close to the subject and firing through a diffuser dome.
The flashes are on manual power, so you can play around with how much you give the two different sources to affect how lit. In the past I've used TTL (which is kind of like "automatic") and made +/- changes based on that to balance my light. Lately I'm moving away from that; especially in situations like this where things aren't changing on-the-fly much.
Anyway: the point is I wanted to shoot the fibery item above. I took a few shots, but the color always runs to cranberry instead of the rich burgundy it really is.
After about 6 snaps I espied the item below and switched subjects
Any sense of what it is? Looks woody, right? Kind of: it's the bottom of a dried mushroom.
I liked the model-city look that the hard light and high aperture gave it, so I kept shooting for a while.
Afterwards I was thinking: this is about the third or fourth thing in this color family I've shot recently. Not that I care one way or the other, but in my Art Theory and Criticism class we were trained to always examine our reactions and isolate the personal portion. It helps strengthen your critical muscle and teaches you about yourself.
So what's with all the yellow?
I think it's a sign of healthiness.
I don't entirely believe in Chinese Acupuncture medicine 100% but I've seen very strong results from it, so I pay attention. In the 5 Element school I am the Earth sign: yellow is my color.
Heck, as a jaundiced baby I was even born yellow.
And I am starting to turn the corner on the move. I still feel like I'm on a business trip, but it's coming around. I'm getting more active and less exhausted (although there is still a lot of that).
I think things spiral up and spiral down, so I'm trying to put more in as I'm on the ups. Do more, shoot more, go out more get active.
So basically: I like a yellow, creamy color.
On a side note: that cranberry color infected everything it touched. You only see it zoomed way in, but it was on this guy too. I edited those shots out

No comments:

Post a Comment