Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Overpassing

Today I was hanging out at my swank hotel feeling tired and I decided that it was time for a stroll. It was my first time walking around in downtown Bangalore; up to now it's been sleeping and working all hours. I figured it was time for a consititutional. So I got on a pair of shorts, sunglasses and a ballcap. Here we go Bangalaru!
I took a stroll down the main drag. It was fun. I was for sure a subject of curiosity, but you walk with purpose and you're fine. Some people trailed me around a bit. I have to say I was very concious of my belongings and that made me feel a bit weird- gripping my camera strap so tight. The idea was to go find a little cafe and get breakfast, but the farther I got from the hotel, the more it turned into schools and such. Eventually, I looped back.
Now- the streets are crazy busy. So much so that there is a pedestrian walk way over the main drag for dudes like me. I took a walk up and stopped for snaps and blissful privacy.
I have to say after walking maybe 45 mins, my throat was dry as dust. This place is a dusty, and full of carbon monoxide.
The picture above is from the overpass. The place is crazy with little yellow three-wheel taxis. The dudes mob you to take you places - little sight seeing jaunts.
I'm very interested in riding in one. I can tell you the ride to work in a mini-van is daffy; being in one of those most be a riot. Maybe I'll go see parliment; it looked cool on the way in.

2 comments:

  1. Love the hat. I'm chillin in Florida for another day and have just a couple weeks at home before I am an international trainer. I want you to know Someone is checking your adventure page here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool photo! I read somewhere that the little yellow taxi dudes will cheat you if they possibly can (whereas taxis are more regulated), so they recommended knowing exactly where you were going and what it should cost, and negotiating the fare before you get in. They sure do look like fun! They remind me of smaller versions of the West African "money bus."

    ReplyDelete