Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Republic Day

Republic Day started at 6:30am for me. We were supposed to meet our local counterparts at 7am and I had to get up to get ready. All of my teammates had bagged on me so I was flying solo. We were up until 2 or so the night before working, so I can't really blame them.
Anyway, 7 comes and my guy isn't around. He worked late too and is behind this morning. Around 8 when I've given up and gone back to the room he shows and we are off to the show.
We get there and it turns out we need a pass to get in. We have no pass, but my man Sasi says no problem. He scouts around, puts the schmooze on a couple people, points out a big dumb American and it's No Pass, No Problem - in we go.
The event is held at the parade grounds and it's pretty crowded but not as bad as you might think. The show starts with speech from the State leader and then a parade of the military, civic groups and bands. Afterwards it's a series of ethnic dances and shows by kids in groups around 600-700. Big, show affairs with props and music. Overhead a well-spoken MC breaks out the symbols and meanings of each affair in a delightfully poliet, clipped tone.






These kids were part of a dance about the diversity and unity of India. They were dressed up as different religions (including funny Christians dressed as brides and grooms carrying upside-down crosses) to show how the had harmony within diversity.


The grand finale was this troupe of military men that climb poles in crazy formations. It's a form of enjoyable calisthenics, the man said. When this started, one of the military guys that had been hovering around me the whole time pushed me towards the edge of the crowd so that I could get a better shot, shouting "you go there- your spot!" It was crazy. They breathed fire and leaped up and down that pole with great shouts and huzzahs. I went home greatful and tired. Thanks Sasi!







2 comments:

  1. Oh, cool! Thank Sasi from me, too -- it's great being able to share a little in what you're seeing and doing!

    (Got your phone message -- thanks; it was nice to hear your voice from so far away!)

    ReplyDelete