Friday, January 22, 2010

Sir, Sir! An Image I Require!


For people speaking the same language, my students and I have a hard time understanding each other.

Typically, I have to have them repeat everything they say. It dawned on me the other day that they prolly miss the bulk of what I say, too. Of course, I'm ennunciating everything and speaking slowly; running a class. They usually mumble and look down and fail to even gesture.

Anyhoo- one of my favorite students at the moment is Mahesh.

But this may require I back up a step. The first day I got in nothing was set up but they were all waiting for me. The first class they just stared at me no matter what I said. No computers worked, so I had to give an impromptu 8-hour lecture. I took every opportunity to ellicit response from them.

At one point I was trying to make a reference to Treasure Islamd. It has to do with spot colors, but that's not important. I made the reference and then realized they might not get it. So I asked them "Who's heard of Robert Louis Stevenson?". Nothing. "He wrote Treasure Island. Ever hear of it?" Nothing. "It's a book about pirates. No who hear can tell me what a pirate is?" Nothing. "You've never heard of pirates?" No reply. They barely blink, but they are all giving me looks like I'm insane.

And at that point, I was. I wanted a response, any response from any of them. But I got nothing. So I persisted: "None of you has ever hear of pirates? You have no idea what a pirate is? Johnny Depp in that movie? Pirates of the Carribean? No one? Really? None of you know what a pirate is?" I asked it like I was sure they were messing with me.

But really, I get them a bit better than I get Spanish, so why should they understand me? Accent is a big part of it, but phrasing is key too.

But by asking things in a way that allows them to open up without exposing them to shame or being wrong and by working hard to give them ways to learn without appearing weak in front of their supervisor, they are starting to open up after a week.

Maheesh is funny because he starts every sentence addressed to me with "Sir, Sir!" So it's "Sir, Sir! deeblackandudderoneitis maybe not sameok?" That's right, Maheesh, they arent the same but the stroke is so small no one will notice and it will do it's job. Ohh...ok. "Sir, Sir! Maybe boxturn, is ok?" Mmm, no the specs have it going the other way. Do it like this. Ohhh... ok.

Today we were getting images and he started to get excited. Keep in mind - I've been in a tight corridor with these people for a full week and most of them have yet to speak aloud to me. So when we work the ads and Mahneesh finds that file he needs he raises his hand and peeps: "Sir, Sir! An image I require!" I have to chuckle.

7 comments:

  1. Nice still life!! Is the little statue of Ganesh? Where is he?

    Sounds like you have just the right attitude and will soon be in a more comfortable place. You're smart to recognize the reasons for the difficult communication, both literal languge and situational (the boss in the room can't be a help!).

    I always remember the first day in Liberia, wondering what tribal language the people around us were speaking. Turns out it was English.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! That's funny.
    Yeah, it's Ganesh - he's on the dash of nearly every cab.
    This is on the way to work. So, there is an insane amount of death-defying driving going on all around the peaceful little elephant god.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my - I think all of the trainers need to see this posting! ~kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. pikturiz san kristoffer in a sari?grampame

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy- it's mostly shyness. Letting them submit annonymous written questions is useful too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Steve: This blog is great! It almost makes me wish I still worked there, so I could go too. OMG I'd DIE at having to talk for 8 hours without any equipment being up. I can imagine that even though they know english, the cultural differences are so great it makes it difficult to communicate. Just curious, is the food there "Indian food" as we know it? Take care. I'll be staying tuned. Sally

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Bosco

    The US Indian food is Punjabi; Northern stuff. Here we eat a lot of rice dishes. They make a lentil curry that I like a lot. It's a vegetarian's delight, so you'd have a lot of food choices. The other day they brought us pizza from Indian Pizza Hut: it had baby corn on it. Quite tasty!

    ReplyDelete