Friday, February 12, 2010

Cubban and Commercial

I got up early and hopped a rickshaw over to Cubban park to see what was there. Not a lot, it turns out. It was basically a park. Pleasant, but so what really? There was a statue of Queen Victoria, some cool bamboo and a few chickens. The kids from the fashion school were there drawing. You see them sitting above. They came in a bulky, very-unfashionable yellow schoolbus.



These women were at the park. You can see the basket of threshes. I think they are their brooms. Early in the mornings, older women clean the streets with them. Often, they will load the leaves and dust into metal wheelbarrows. These also look very hand-made. Usually they are wearing sarees as they do this, so it creates an interesting picture. I like the brooms they use and hope to get a better shot of one.

Later, at lunch we walked over to UB City. We had a very Western and very large lunch at the noodle shop. Tasty wasabi prawns were the hit of the meal. From there we needed to go to Commercial Street. We found three rickshaws and met up. The place was crazy, but delightful. Jam-packed with commerce and people in tiny streets that still somehow has cars and motorcylces buzzing along. I bought a pair of shoes to replace the ones I brought that are falling apart. They had some really crazy pairs; all pointy-toed and zig zaggy, but I went conservative but with a little style.

On the way back to the hotel I had to yell at the rickshaw guy for taking us to a store instead of the hotel. They get kickbacks from the store for doing this and it's not the first time this happened to us. See the post on our first shopping trip. This time I knew right away and had to get my mean on with the guy.
At night we had Italian again. It was tasty enough, but I filled up very quickly. Some of the team are going and getting massages tomorrow. After some waffling, I decided that I must go for the gusto and try it out. I've never had a stranger do it, but my guiding princible in India is: Go With It. So, I'm going to try it out tomorrow morning.



2 comments:

  1. Yelling at rickshaw drivers, shopping here and there, visiting temples -- except for the Italian food part, I think you've about arrived as an Old India Hand! Good job, and keep up the good work, old sport!

    ReplyDelete
  2. to hell with the art school princible--he smacks of Mr. Nickerson have enjoyed you pix

    ReplyDelete