Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Get Stupid



Here's a shot of Shawn with the two verticals classes. Both teams worked out well and are pretty much on their own now. It was great to see them blossom and understand the issues. Also nice to see Shawn take his first classes with us through their paces and take control of the situation.

Not so nice are the ugly shadows in the photo.

I thought it would be nice to try shooting them on the roof and catch some city in the background. I used two flashes on either side of the group to light the foreground so the ambient didn't blow out so much. I put the flashes on nearby tables on either side of he group. I woul have liked them higher, but I panicked and didn't figure out until later that there were dozens of other people milling around who would have been happy to hold them up for me.

Also not smart to not try other things lighting-wise. The group had waited around a half hour to take the shot, another five minutes waiting wouldn't have hurt them while I reset the lights.

I just need more confidence. I panick that I'm going to mess up the shot, or exasperate people with waiting and I mess up.


At UB City where we sometimes go here, there are a series of giant Stupid posters. THings like a dog in sunglasses riding a pinata. The message is to go for the stupid, have fun, get some stories to tell by not worrying about what people think. Oh, and to buy Diesel jeans.


We love the posters and though it's silly, I think I should take the lesson to heart with shooting. Relax a little bit more and have fun. Look how fun the people in the VP team are.

No comments:

Post a Comment