Friday, February 5, 2010

Familiar Flowers


In the lobby of the hotel we wait for our ride to come. It's temperate out, perhaps 75 degrees, but they usually have us wait in the small lobby bar area. These flowers are on the small tables there. I like flowers and shoot them often, but have little to no knowledge of them. These particular kind I've had some good photo times with, so I recognize them. I like the alar nature of the petals. I still am not 100% sure what they are though - Gerber Daisys? I dunno. I like flowers well enough, but my pops knows way more about them and takes much better shots of them. I'm just trying for a place in the conversation.

The crazy blue in the shot I haven't figured out. It's a glass table and the angle suggests bounce - that's not the carpet. Must be a white balance throw?


Here's the hotel restaurant where we eat most every day. There is a pool to the right and the buffet to the left. The waitstaff men often wear white wide-lapelled shirts with their black suits, giving them a disco look that I find amusing. Which reminds me: this place is crazy for shiny shirts. I will have to get some snaps later.

Observant and loyal blog readers will recognize the flowers in the foreground: the same bird of paradise flowers that made my day back during train the trainer in Los Al. It feels like a good omen that the same plants are here and doing well. I don't know how plants travel the world, but it's a nice connection for me and a reminder of home.


Here's Mhike schooling Shevanand on the finer points of InDesign. Or maybe he's just giving him financial tips on the internet. You can see the training environment a bit. They are in open cubes sitting next to each other.

The situation mirrors their real workspaces:


No personal items, no office supplies, barely any wastebaskets, no printers. It's spartan and eco-friendly. Just a desk you work at and a guy bringing you coffee.

The folks in the photo above left to right are (apologies for spelling) Mahesh, Khartek, Dyva, Yatish, Binu (blue shirt), Amshumanth, and Rhago (all the way in the back).

Mahesh I've talked about. Khartek is very talented and so is Rhago. Amshumanth is very friendly and artistic- he's the one who will wave when you take a picture instead of shying away, The flags are left over from Republic Day.

Oh- and big news! Sunday Sham's Daredevils take on Sasi's Night Riders in cricket tourney down at the schooolyard! It's inter-departmental rivalry as the two squads vie for bragging rights! I'm psyched, my coworkers seem kind of whatever, but I'm totally checking it out.







5 comments:

  1. Cool -- it's nice to get a sense of your day-to-day environment. Looks very pleasant. There are more people and a bigger space than I somehow thought. Hope you have a great weekend, with a mix of sleep and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somehow I deleted my comment. Ah well, it wasn't that insightful.

    Take pictures of the cricket match! Have a great weekend ... and fix your monkey video. I still can't see it (and I need to).

    ReplyDelete
  4. ¡Hola, Guap! Loving that blue in your flower photo! As fortune would have it, my daughter will be part of an exchange program that will take her to Kottayam, Kerala, India this summer. I have forwarded your blog to her teacher/sponsor so that her group can check it out. I think they have a visit scheduled to Bangalore at some point. J French and I have become daily viewers... more monkeys please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, yesterday was the monkiest day yet! We were sitting on the rooftop having lunch when a monkey climbed over the wall. Of course we screamed for joy and the monkey gave us a look like, 'whoah, what's your problem? I'm just here for the leftover snacks'.
    He took off, but then we saw the whole troop climbing around on the buildingds below, picking through trash cans and generally getting up to their monkey business.
    Of course me camera and phone were on the first floor so I got nothing to show you. We know where they live now, though. Hopefully more soon.

    ReplyDelete