Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Li'l Bananas

Those are the little bananas I got from Lord Shiva yesterday. I had one for breakfast with my tea. The black tea here is a little strong. The tea they serve at work is mostly warmed milk; so much so that it nearly indistingishable from the coffee they serve the same way. I drink my tea without cream or sugar now. When I started, it was too tart.
The banana was tasty as well. I'm not a great fan of them in general, but this one was ok. They taste a little different than Western bananas, although I can't say how, maybe it's a texture thing.
Maybe my taste buds are changing. Spicy food doesn't seem so bad anymore. When we went out for Italian the other night at UB city the Western style food that I was so looking forward to seemed bland. I told myself it was just subtle, but I missed the zip some.
Friday is a company holiday. It's Maha Shivaratri.
It's what? A Hindu holiday devoted to recent-blog-topic Lord Shiva. Part of the ritual is that they stay up all night. Mmm, like me right now.
The key part for me is that it's a work holiday. I'm a little bananas myself; tired and a little frustrated and in need of this mid-run holiday. I need a Maha Shivaratri miracle. I'm excited to see our friends from the other team, too. Those guys are the ones really staying up all night on Maha Shivaratri. They work all night then fly in in the morning.

I mentioned UB City. Here's an iphone shot of the building. There's a fancy shopping area and some open air restaurants. When we went there was a pair of people playing Western hits note-for-note. He sounded like Chris Isaak. The building is a local landmark. It's apparently owned by this one guy who also owns a cricket team, a beer (Kingfisher) an airline (Kingfisher also) a brand of whiskey and bottled water and who knows what else. Everybody is impressed by him and his giant building.

We'll probably take our coworkers out there when they get here.

No comments:

Post a Comment