Monday, February 1, 2010

Tomato Mischief


With a name like that, we just had to try it. Turns out the mischief was on us: they tasted exactly like Campell's tomato soup. Bleagh. Other popular local candy includes the Bounty Bar (like a Mounds, but somehow not) and the Masala Madness flavor chips. The students in class will share their snacks, which I always try. Typically they seem familar but not quite. Like you've tasted this artificial ingedient before, but not quite in this combination.

But nobody is eating the Tomato Mischiefs because the desert bar at the hotel buffet is totally rocking it. I don't touch it much because I gross myself out enough without eating fudge bars too. But those guys do, and every day they bring back some fanciful creation.

Most of the dishes have names like Nemesis (a chocolatey affair) or end up with nicknames like the Reindeer or Brown Sugar Squares. Some are better than others. I think everyone ate the mini-super chocolate-brownies. Dan musta had four of them.
And they make a tasty dish made from sugar and shredded carrots that is pretty good. See what I mean about the tastes being familar, but not quite?
I also like Gulab I think it's called - sort of a soft dunkin munchkin made from pancake batter and floating in a syrupy sauce. They brought one around as a snack at work and it hit the spot. Whether the one at the hotel is better than the work one is a matter of some debate.
No Tomato Mischief, but pretty ok.




1 comment:

  1. Hilarious! That's the best packaging I've ever seen -- three wonderful phrases on one packet of chips! Sounds like you're eating very well, and I'm glad you're trying most everything.

    I remember that "almost" feeling about tastes. When we landed in Liberia, one of the first things I ate was bread and butter. Ah, thought I, simple, familiar food. But, as you say -- not quite.

    ReplyDelete