Saturday, December 19, 2009

Mind a Snap?





The Indian trainers have an amusing cadence to their speech. I shouldn't say "amusing", that sounds paternal. Hell, they each speak at least three languages (Hindi, English, and their local dialects) at least -- so they're doing great. I just find it enjoyable to hear unexpected emphasis here and there. Adding to it are the unusual word choices and structuring of common phrases.
Some of these choices clearly come from the English influence. Hindi words like wine, taxi, coffee and credit card, are nearly exactly the same as the English.
And there are different accents in the group. The Southern kids are a little different from the Northern and there are differences amoung them as well. Senthil has a thick accent and a deep voice that I can't really describe. It makes longer chats with his harder, but the drop-ins he has are delightful.
The other day he said something that sounded like "sTEEv...mihnd ehSNop?" When he gestured with his camera I got what meant. "Mind a snap?" No, no not all. Delighted.
Couple quick shots from yesterday morning. The light was nice. The one of my room interior I was playing with the gels that go into the flashes. I used amber ones.

1 comment:

  1. ok, imagine that your fellow trainers are a fellow nearing 80 from Cutler,Maine;another from nooyowk.a sweet thing from biloxi and a fellow from appalachia--which one might your Indian colleagues say had the hardest, most unusualspeech pattern? grampa me

    ReplyDelete