Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Tradition of Perviness




During the course of comparing cultures with my Indian counterparts, I'm starting to notice a trend: we're perverts.
Every time they have a cute, sweet tradition, our version is naughtier. So they'll tell me how the bride and groom play catch with a flower ball at their wedding. In turn I relate the bride-tossing-the-bouquet tradition. It's all going well until I get to the part about putting the garter up under the girl's skirt.
Then they all get real quiet.
And it keeps happening. I'll start telling some story or detail of American life and it always seems to end with drunkeness or an unwed mother.
Maybe it's just me. They like Yanni and Top Cat. I like Family Guy and the Ramones.

On the photo front, I'm thinking about discipline and motivation. When I read about some shooters work, or see how they go about a task, it is very directed. They want to make a specific image and set about to do it. I think my Dad is this way. He sees something and sets about to record and show it.
This has never been my way. When I painted, or worked on cartoons, I would start out with half an idea and the process of doing the work would hopefully flesh out the details and take me somewhere. It was entertaining to see where it would end up and what would happen. I don't understand writers who know where there stuff is going. To me it would be boring if I knew all the twists beforehand.
I guess shooting is similar: I see something sort of cool and take some shots to see what it looks like photographed.
This is fine and fun, but it's a limited approach. I need to be able to picture a result and set about to getting it, not just picturing a process and seeing what happens.
I need new traditions.

Posted from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Your phone takes good photos! It's nice to have that on-the-spotness. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a real portion of photography for my is akin to wet on wet watercolor--you start with an image and the process yield vaiations of the truth some literal some lateral--the african art tradition of mbari takes charge.grampa me

    ReplyDelete