Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Post on Post


"Post" is the term photogs give all the doctoring they do in Photoshop; their post-shooting work. At home, I shoot in the RAW format mostly and work in PScs3. My final destination of most shots is the Internet, I'm not printing much of these. So, I try to make it look nice on the Mac, and look at on the PC as well sometimes.
Here on the road, things are different. In India I hope to be down to one laptop: my work PC. Now this computer only has Photoshop 6. No Bridge, no raw processing, and the PC monitor gamut as my destination. Since it's a work computer so I can't add or change software.
So it's back to JPEGs and working on this punk Toshiba.
I have to say; it's a little stiffling. Getting on the Internet in hotels is a pain these days, too. The wifi never works so you have to plug into the wall. It's crazy slow. You have to log into the hotel's site, agree to terms, click past slow-loading surveys and offers to get to the Internet and then watch the pages crawl down like cold molasses dripping down a stucco wall.
Long story short, I haven't shot as much real stuff as I'd like these two weeks and I'm being a baby about the gear.
I took some shots last night, though. I'll post them once I get my computer back up.
The basic idea was to reset the camera color balance to blue shift and then filter the flash light to nuetralize it. So, all blue except where the flash hits it. You snoot the flash to limit the spot. Sorta interesting, we'll see what's there once I do the post.

- Posted from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Well, obviously, you need a new laptop! How you gonna keep 'em down on the farm after they've seen Paree? Glad you're still thinking creative thoughts, despite the limitations. Speaking of which, I really like your "molasses on stucco" image -- nice New England/S. Cali mashup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you don't let those limitations stop you from shooting tons of photos. Even if you can't do proper post-shooting work or post them online until you get back home, you've got to take the photos! Lots & lots of photos :)

    ReplyDelete