Thursday, December 3, 2009

Starting Snapshots












There's a big difference between knowing and doing.
I knew that these shots would be lame unless I set up a second light behind them.
I knew, I didn't do it even though I had a second (and third) light in my bag because I was being feeble.

But, let's get back to that.

This is Vanaya, Sentil and Mohan. Three of the seven students I'm working with. They will become trainers. All of our vendor friends love taking pictures and when a camera comes out, they are quick to get in the act. Everyone takes pictures with everyone and we buddy up in different groups and all take shots of each other. Very snapshotty- like these.

Overall, they are very amusing, bright, open and interested.

I've rented a mini van I use to take them back and forth to the job site. On the way we ask each other questions about our respective cultures and lives. I've learned about shrines, religion, forehead dots, the rules of cricket and popular Indian culture. In exchange I bought them scratch tickets and told them about Barry White.
So, it's been funny and interesting so far, but with really hard problems to solve in between. We were at a good stopping point today, so I took out the camera and took some shots. It was fun, but the hullaballoo and crowd it created made setting up the lights harder. Of course I could and should have, I just didn't. But: I've laid the groundwork for shooting them more and set a benchmark for portraits on this trip that will give me a lot of room to improve upon.
So, am I psyched at these shots, no. But I'm going to try to keep it up until I can stop thinking and just do it.

2 comments:

  1. Is the 2nd light so that their hair doesn't blend into the background? Would it be needed if the subjects happened to be blonde?

    These guys look like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The second light creates separation from the background.
    So it's not just tonal. I could bring up the ambient in camera as well by stepping down. I shot at flash sync speed 1/250, which didn't give me a lot.
    I'm finding the ring flash eats a lot of light. Also, using the camera to callthe flash light level seems to be a bit sporadic. Like it meters differently based on focal point, so each shot it's throwing different light levels. Again: something I can control, but I'm to slow in the real world.

    ReplyDelete