Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Ring Light & Stage Fright

I got up this morning and followed through on my plan to shoot the Bird of Paradise flowers. Here's one:



And another:



I think they are okay, but a bit rushed and haphazard. The cropping isnt quite correct in either of them, but I've had lots of technical hurdles both in camera, computer and connectivity today. On the whole ok, but really the problem is that it's ground I've tread before.
I'm shooting using a macro 300mm opened all the way up at about f16. A ring flash adaptor on the flash provides the characteristic lighting. I like the ring flash for shooting plants, but it's most common use is for people.
Which is why I brought it and what my current challenge is. I want to shoot headshots of all the people in this training. But I am feeling like a dope and I haven't started doing it yet.
Partly, it's the rig, but mostly it's me. I would be less-self concious shooting people with a more basic camera. I wouldn't think twice shooting with my phone. But hauling out a giant camera with a flash and ring light is kind of a showy production. Really I'm the only one who cares, but I feel awkward doing it. I need to get over this to take the photos I want to take. I must get over it and tomorrow I will. I will get these shots so that I can introduce you to these people who will be in my life constantly for the next 3 months. Next post will be portraits. It must be.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. I like the first one, you can really see the "bird" in Bird of Paradise

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most people would be flattered to have someone haul out impressive equipment to take their picture. Makes us seem important!

    Love the lighting in these shots: ethereal, yet the edges are crisp and lovely.

    ReplyDelete